- Says anybody can wear mufti and claim CG of Customs
- No law compels me to wear uniform -Ali
- Senate asked Ali to return in Uniform next Wednesday
- Customs N8.5bn request to complete HQ stalled in House of Reps
- Reps query variation of consultancy fee from N206m to N1bn
For not wearing uniform as instructed, the senate, yesterday, walked out the comptroller-General of Nigeria Customs Service, NCS, Col. Hameed Ibrahim Ali, retd, and asked him to return next Wednesday in complete Customs uniform.
Senators asked Ali to leave the plenary because rather than wear Customs uniform, he appeared in a white Kaftan dress with white cap and black shoes to match.
According to Senate, Ali is not a sole administrator; as Customs CG, he has to be dressed as such to appear before them because anybody can wear a mufti and claim to be the NCS boss.
The lawmakers disagreed with Ali that no law compels him to wear Customs uniform as one them recalled that Ali was one of those who got the current uniform introduced in 2004.